This page contains frequently asked questions and does not cover all eligibility requirements. Students should visit this website for a complete list of eligibility requirements: https://c4e.colostate.edu/first-generation-award/
Am I eligible to apply?
- Students should visit the main FGA site for a complete list of eligibility requirements: https://c4e.colostate.edu/first-generation-award/
- PLEASE NOTE: Students must plan to enroll as a NEW full-time student in Summer or Fall 2022
- PLEASE NOTE: Currently enrolled CSU students, full time CSU Online students, and/or CSU-Global students are not eligible to apply
I am not sure if my financial aid qualifies me for First Generation Award. How can I find out?
- A student must have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $17,000 or less. This information is available on their FAFSA account and through the Office of Financial Aid.
- A student must have at least $4000 in unmet financial need. They can find this information out from Office of Financial Aid or by looking at the award information in the award letter they received. The unmet need is the difference between what the Cost of Attendance and what they have for financial aid.
When is the application deadline for the First Generation Award?
- The application for the First Generation Award (FGA) for NEW 1st YEAR and TRANSFER students for the 2023-2024 academic year will be available October 1, 2022. The submission deadline is March 1, 2023.
- Late applications will not be reviewed.
How do I apply?
- Read the First Generation Award Description webpage and review eligibility requirements
- Complete the FAFSA or the Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA)
- Check Eligibility Requirements
- Complete the CSU Scholarship Application (CSUSA). The First Generation Award application is only available through CSU Scholarship Application (CSUSA) on the RamWeb portal
- Review the First Generation Award essay questions on the CSU Scholarship Application and write your essays
How do I get to the CSUSA?
- Go to RAMweb, log in using your NetID, and then select the CSU Scholarship Application link. You can then search for the First Generation Award application.
- For prospective students, once you submit an application for admission and it is processed, the Office of Admissions e-mails you information on how to establish your NetID (electronic ID). Once you have established your NetID (eName and ePassword), you are able to access ramweb.colostate.edu and the CSUSA. If you need help establishing your eID, contact the Office of Admissions at (970) 491-6909 or email@example.com.
- Submit a completed application and essay responses online by clicking the button below.
Do I complete both the general CSUSA application AND the First Generation Award application?
- Yes. The First Generation Award application only becomes available after the student has completed the CSUSA. They should plan their time to allow for both.
Did my application go through?
- Students can check Academic Works to see if their application is submitted. The Office of Financial Aid can also let students know if their application was received
What happens after I apply?
- The selection process begins mid-March and a selection committee will review all completed materials submitted by the application deadline
- Students will be notified by May 1st if they are selected for the award. The FGA program does utilize a waitlist so some students may be notified later in the summer if a spot opens up. Students who are not selected will receive notification in late summer.
Contact Information for Questions
First Generation Award Program
Attn: Miel McCarthy – Director, Scholar Success Programs
Colorado State University
Tel: (970) 491-7095